Monday, July 8, 2013

7-5-2013 An afternoon at the links


They do have lynx in the Park but you rarely see them.   The snow hare in this region are the primary diet for the lynx.  The population of the hare reaches its peak every ten years, and they are in the early stages of replenishing their numbers.  Since there is not enough food to sustain the lynx, they have moved on.






Now back to the links with which I’m most familiar.  They have a 9-hole golf course up here and I decided that I would give it a go.  It’s pretty straight forward, out and back, up and back several times and you are done.  It is pretty challenging with tight fairways (pastures).   I played number 1 from fairway number 2.  I played number 2 from the woods.  






The kid from the pro shop comes racing down the fairway when I finally reach the number1 green and says, “Mister, I forgot to tell you there’s a moose in the fairway on number 2 and I wouldn’t go near it.  It is quite aggressive.”   OK, so I step up on the tee box, rare back and smack that ball right next to the moose.  Now my dilemma is, do I let the moose keep me from my $4 Titleist ball?   Hell no!  So I run down there and meet the moose.  He wasn’t that aggressive but he now owns a $4 Titleist.











It was a fun day, and the course offered a few challenges that I enjoyed.  The views were spectacular, the weather superb and the opportunity priceless.  






Ears back, not happy.














I did see another moose on one of the other holes and took out a $1 Top Flight ball so the moose could add that to his collection.  He wasn’t about to get another $4 Titleist.










While Bob was playing golf, Sharon went to the Park in search of history.  Don Jacobs, our traveling partner, wanted to do some exploring around the park.  So, his wife Joy and Sharon went along.  Don’s dad had been at Ft. Wainwright in Fairbanks during World War II, and for their R&R the army brought troops to this area.  In the winter they skied and in the summer they played outdoor games, in addition to the reading, dances, and USO entertainment provided.  Don had a pamphlet from his dad promoting the area.  We were trying to figure out where the Lodge had been.  Took us a while, but we persevered and found out where the building had been.  There was actually part of the original power building still there even though the rest of it had burned down.  Made for a fun afternoon and we’ll be going back to talk to the park historian more about it.  




Hiding in wait for Bob's next round.


No comments:

Post a Comment